Volunteering — Blog Post #6
Mar 14, 2015
The Burro Crane in Brightside needed to have the rest of the bodywork removed. This included the roof and side panels. While removing the bolts attaching one of the side panels to the base of the crane cab we found a quick release connector which had to be removed to free the side panel. We put a bucket in place to catch any fluid that might leak out as we removed the connector. This proved to be a good idea as there was a small amount of fluid in the lines. We removed the connector and after draining most of the fluid, we tried several brass fittings until we found the correct ones to seal the line to prevent any further leaks.
With the side panel freed from the base, we removed as many bolts as we could connecting the side panels to the roof and then it was time to climb up onto the roof to remove the rest. We had to be careful what order we removed the remaining bolts as we were on top of the same roof panels we were trying to remove. The view of the yard was great from the top of the Burro! When only a few bolts remained in place supporting the roof, we carefully moved off the roof and went in search of the forklift. After several attempts, we found just the right place to position the forklift to lift the roof off in one piece.
Once lifted free, the roof panels were lowered to the ground rather quickly and dragged off to the growing pile of Burro parts. Removing the roof and side panels exposed the crane’s engine and transmission which will make removing these parts much easier. At the same time, this meant these parts were exposed to the elements so we covered the engine with a tarp.
This Burro was now ready for removal of the parts needed to restore the other Burro we have, so that we will have one Burro in good condition, ready to help build the railway east to Pleasanton.